Algeria Youth Leadership Program at University of Nevada (Fully-funded to USA)
Applications for Algerian Youth and Adult Participants for the Algerian Youth Leadership Program are open.
Eligible Countries: Algeria
To be taken at (country): USA
About the Award: This is a four-week, fully funded, U.S-based cultural exchange program, focused on the primary themes of civic education, youth leadership development, respect for diversity, and community engagement. Participants will engage in a variety of activities, such as workshops on leadership and service, community site visits related to the program themes, interactive training and discussion groups, small group work, presentations, local cultural activities, and homestays with American families, among other activities.
The program will be intensive, academic, and highly interactive to the end that participants develop their skills in order to be effective leaders in their schools and communities. Participants will work with professors and students from the University of Nevada School of Business and that Reynold School of Journalism, local consultants and community businesses and organizations. Participants will use the skills gained in this program to create a service project for their home community.
Algerian youth applicants
Youth who are eligible to apply must:
- Be a legal citizen of Algeria
- Be 15, 16 or 17 years old on June 11, 2021
- Have at least one year of high school remaining after the program. If you are selected as a semifinalist, you will be required to submit an original high school transcript and a school certificate to verify that you have at least one year of high school remaining.
- Have demonstrated English skills, sufficient for understanding academic discussion and everyday social interactions
- Have demonstrated leadership in their schools and/or communities
- Have interest in the program themes of social entrepreneurship, leadership and project development and would like to participate in academic classes and do work to develop in these areas
- Have permission from their parent(s) or legal guardian to participate in the entire program
- Not have a familial relation to the Northern Nevada International Center, their Algerian partner Action Bénévole pour la Citoyenneté & le Développement, or the U.S. Department of State.
Algerian adult applicants
Adults who are eligible to apply must:
- Be legal citizens of Algeria
- Work actively mentoring youth in their professional or volunteer activities
- Be community leaders
- Have excellent English
- Be committed to working with the Youth Leadership Program participants after their return from the United States to assist in the implementation of community projects
- Have travel experience outside of their home state or province (international travel experience is not required-program staff will travel with you to the U.S.)
- Be committed to the goals and ideals of the program, including civic leadership, diversity and fostering regional and global interactions
- Not be employed by and/or do not have a familial relation to the Northern Nevada International Center, their Algerian partner Action Bénévole pour la Citoyenneté & le Développementor the U.S. Department of State
We encourage people with disabilities and diverse backgrounds to apply. Opportunities are open to people regardless of their race, color, national origin, sex, religion, socioeconomic status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: The U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, in conjunction with its private partners, will pay for ground transportation to and from Algiers, international transportation to and from the United States, orientations and workshops, program fees and administration, site visits and seminars, lodging and most meals, some cultural activities, educational materials, and accident and sickness insurance coverage. Participants will stay with volunteer host families.
Duration of Programme:
- U.S. program dates: June 14-July 7, 2021 in Reno, NV and Washington, D.C.
- Program Orientation for Algerian participants: June 11-13, 2021 in Algiers
How to Apply: To apply, click on the link (below) that pertains to you and follow the guidelines
Please note: The safety of participants and our communities is our number one priority. While we are scheduled to run the Algerian Youth Leadership in-person exchange in Reno, Nevada and Washington, D.C. with an orientation in Algiers, the in-person exchange is contingent upon the stabilization of the COVID-19 pandemic, the easing of travel restrictions and the safety of travel. Any changes in travel plans will be communicated to program applicants or participants as soon as possible.